Sunday, August 06, 2006

Time Warner Again: Michael Wolff's Analysis in Vanity Fair

You read it here first. And here. Time Warner no longer has a raison d'etre. Now, I'm in good company.

Michael Wolff of Vanity Fair wrote a wonderful piece this month discussing why Time Warner should be broken up. The occasion was his interview with Carl Icahn, the erstwhile corporate raider, now 'corporate governance' enforcer.

Rather than attempt to rephrase or summarize Wolff's article, I've provided the link to it, so you can read it for yourself.

What is comforting to me is that Wolff, although much later than I did, comes to the same conclusions regarding the company's current and long-term viability, for many of the same reasons. I've seen Wolff on several CNBC interviews. His candor and sensibility have impressed me, so I'm happy that he and I have similar feelings about the Time Warner situation. Only I didn't have the benefit of an afternoon with Carl Icahn to cement my conclusions.

Nevertheless, I think, based upon Wolff's piece, that perhaps Time Warner, its recent quarterly results notwithstanding, is headed for breakup within the next, say, 24 months?

No comments: