Monday, September 04, 2006

Laptop Shopping: Dell's Miscalculation

Saturday saw the East Coast of the US hit with the monsoon-like fallout from hurricane Ernesto. With outdoor activities out of the question, my daughters and I, as many other denizens of the area did, went shopping.

As it happens, I had promised them upgraded personal computer facilities this year. This decision necessitated a long-delayed commitment to a wireless network, so that gear was also on the shopping list. With fall "back to school" sales in full flower, we set off on a rainy, overcast afternoon to buy electronics gear.

At our first stop, Costco, my daughters found several laptops their liking. Upon discussing the array of models displayed with the helpful Costco assistant, I rapidly came to realize that there was a fairly uniform set of features and capabilities available within a $200 price range. Being the first store at which we looked, we held off a purchase decision for later.

The next stop was Staples. I went there for networking gear. As I made sure that the components I selected were appropriate for the intended network setup, my daughters busied themselves with trying out the various laptops on display among the shelves in the back of the store. There must have been at least 20 different models on offer. Soon, they called out to me that they found one which they would like me to buy.

Amazingly, they had chosen a very good machine at a great price. I say "amazingly," not because my daughters chose it, but because we were at Staples. This was about the last place I expected to purchase a computer.

However, they found an HP Pavilion notebook on sale, for about $900. It had the typical 1GB of RAM, 100GB HD, wireless capability, XP operating system, DVD burner/reader, that most machines in the price range possess. Plus an in-lid camera and various additional software titles.

As I wrote in my prior post,
here, Dell has seriously miscalculated how consumers buy PCs nowadays. I am a good example. Never before have I purchased a PC in person, at a retail store. Four Gateways and one Dell were bought over the phone, after customization.

Now, however, the typical off-the-shelf notebooks contain nearly-identical features and components, at very similar prices. Thanks to the evolution of various manufacturers' distribution policies, many retailers carry a wide variety of brands: HP, Toshiba, Gateway, Lenovo, and Acer, to name just a few. With this sort of product choice at similar prices, it doesn't take a genius to realize that spending more for marginal customization, while waiting a week for the product, is hard to justify.

Really, about the only option left nowadays is your choice of how much RAM to buy. Otherwise, notebooks in the $1,000 price range are all very similar.


The conclusion which I draw from all of this is that Dell has seriously missed the boat in terms of its understanding of the consumer segment's buying behavior evolution. This notebook, on which I'm writing this post, is intended to provide my daughters with their own computing platform, as well as wireless internet access. As a second (or, in my case, more) computer purchase, sufficient information and product choices are available at retail to obviate the need to custom design a solution.

Dell did very well in the 1990s with their custom-design, fast delivery business model. Now, however, with Saturday's experience fresh in my mind, I see how and why they are outdated in their distribution methods.

One can't denigrate their prior success. But I don't really think they possess any unique competitive advantages anymore to drive further consistently superior total return performance in the years to come.

1 comment:

C Neul said...

Richard:

This is precisely the type of thinking I saw at ATT and Chase prior to their demises. It is inward-looking, self-satisfied, and misses the obvious signs of declining performance.

Please search my blog for the several prior posts about "Dell" and see my diagnosis of your strategic missteps of the past few years.

You are missing my point entirely. My last PC purchase WAS a Dell. I spent about 40 minutes on your website last week trying to see what was reasonable to select, customize and/or buy.

The only customizable element left on a laptop now is the RAM size. So all one need do is confine his search to 1GB RAM models, and Dell has no advantage IN THIS PRODUCT SPACE.

I'm not saying some product spaces are not different.

But nearly the entire mid-range consumer product space buying behavior situation is probably similar to the situation about which I wrote.

In any case, I'm flattered that I someone at Dell is reading/monitoring my blog. I noticed a Dell IPA months ago when I first posted about your firm.

It's unfortunate that you are choosing to simply reiterate a corporate line on how successful Dell has been, or is, when your total return for the past 5 years has been miserable. This will be evident from the charts in the various prior posts about Dell on this blog.

You may feel the "acceptance" of your model is growing "world wide." Too bad your profitable growth is not as well, nor your total returns.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you continue to read my blog and comment.