Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Yahoo Insiders Confirm My Suspicions

It seems to be the week for the business media reporting stories that I wrote about far in advance.

This time, it's a leaked memo from a Yahoo SVP regarding the company's inability to dominate any of the many areas in which it has invested over time. I wrote about that in several posts, most notably here. I wrote, "Yahoo blasted onto the scene with a dizzying variety of services, but no clear focus. It seems to offer a bit of everything, and the best of nothing."

This is essentially the thrust of the now-famous "Peanut Butter Manifesto," written by Brad Garlinghouse, and reported in Saturday's edition of the Wall Street Journal. It echoes almost exactly my sentiments in the linked post.

There's not a lot new to say about the issue, except that Google's stock price broke above $500/share today, which marks a significant P/e multiple for that company.

Suffice to say, reading the WSJ story gave me renewed confidence in my strategic diagnostic skills and instincts.

A third story ran today, though, in the Journal, that is a bit different, and the subject of the next post.

1 comment:

C Neul said...

test comment for tags

italicized
bold

Reasoned Sceptic

end of test