Tuesday, January 02, 2007

ATT: Forbes "Company of the Year" for 2006?

Forbes has chosen AT&T "company of the year" for 2006. The firm's chairman, Ed Whitacre, stares out from the magazines current cover edition.

Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but I don't see it. Posted on the left is the company's five-year stock price chart, courtesy of Yahoo, along with the S&P500 (please click on the chart to see a larger version).

It's probably a moot point to attempt to interpret revenue growth for the firm now, since it been affected by acquisitions. The annual sales growth rates are, for 2004-6, 0%, 1%, and 37%. There is by no means, yet, a clear record of sustained revenue growth in the combined firm.

NIAT is also a giant hockey stick, still negative in 2005, at -23%.

Regarding total returns, the company now known as "AT&T" has a total return which has only exceeded that of the S&P500 index twice in the past seven years: 2000, and 2006.

None of this indicates to me that AT&T is now a smoothly-functioning, world-class firm. In fact, unless I am mistaken, I am now, once again, a customer of their wireless business. I've had AT&T, then Cingular, and now, evidently, AT&T once again. So much for brand building. My usage of their long distance is now de minimis. The wireless business is apparently hoping for ad revenues to save them.

I confess to being a sceptic on this one. More power to Forbes if this is the "company of the year" for 2006- or any future year.

No comments: