Tuesday, February 13, 2007

NBC's New Ad Sales Approach: What's Old Is New Again

Yesterday's Wall Street Journal carried an interesting piece in the Media&Marketing Section regarding advertising.

The piece, by Brian Steinberg, featured the changes in ad marketing and sales being wrought by NBC's new ad-sales chief, Michael Pilot, late of GE's Commercial Finance Group.

Apparently, Pilot has "a history of using sophisticated analytical methods to generate sales growth."

Twenty-odd years ago, when I was a graduate student at Penn, we learned these sorts of techniques from the then-resident expert Professors, Len Lodish and Jerry Wind. The use of prior sales data from which to build models of most-likely buyers, and more productive sales and marketing efforts, is hardly new.

I think it's wonderful that NBC is making use of someone with Mr. Pilot's tendencies. Beyond his focus on more analytical sales planning, Pilot is also redesigning the entire sales and fulfillment process, something consultants like my old outfit, Andersen cum Accenture, likes to call 'business process re-engineering,' to be more efficient, automated, and electronic.

All this is, frankly, pretty obvious, low-hanging fruit. The question you should have, that I have, is, what took GE, the parent of NBC Universal, so long to effect this change? As I've written in prior posts, GE is too large to be effectively managed anymore for consistently superior total returns to shareholders. This is an excellent example of why I believe this to be so.

How does one justify viewing GE as either visionary, or well-led, if something so large and prominent as the ad sales function in one of its six business groups, is so hopelessly antiquated and poorly-managed?

I think this also speaks to the reality of business education in America, and, possibly, the world. Michael Pilot is most certainly not the only business school graduate to have learned these techniques over the past thirty years. Where are all the other graduates with similar knowledge, and their successful sales management changes?

Where does all that learning, knowledge and skill go? Thousands of graduates from the top ten or so US business schools in the past few decades, and when one of them actually implements a decades-old idea, it's considered breaking news in the Wall Street Journal.

How sad.

2 comments:

Arne Huse said...

I enjoy your views on these topics! I like any discussion on what many descibe as "New ways of selling." You are quite right in that little has changed since CRM was created. You may be interested in having a look at a research project I have completed on what I have termed "The CRM Dilemma." My research has concluded that CRM will never work if activity controls for sales reps are even a small part of the program. That they will work together as a unified group, to effectively eliminate what they view as a threat. My research has been receiving a lot of attention in that it reveals the true killer of CRM initiatives. I have informally presented my research on "The CRM Dilemma" on my blog of the same name. I think you may find it interesting.

C Neul said...

Arne-

Thanks for your comment. I'll take a look at your profile/blog.

I can well believe that a sales force will work to overthrow unwanted or encroaching management and incentive tactics.

-CN