Thursday, December 13, 2007

Great Marketing Is A Beautiful Thing

I love great marketing. Anywhere. Anytime.

Yesterday, I received a targeted dose of great marketing, and it paid off for the vendor.

Thursday was forecast to be a day of inclement weather in the Northeast US. Sleet began to fall before the morning rush hour. Light snow and ice were coming down by 11AM.


At 1:12PM, I received an email from a local restaurant chain named Charlie Brown's. My business partner and I occasionally have lunch there, and we both have affinity cards. As a result of that relationship, I am on their email list.

The email was a simple, but eye-catching graphic of large snowflakes on a light blue field. It said something like,

"LET IT SNOW SPECIAL!
TODAY ONLY!!
Bring this email in and receive 20% off your food order- eat in or takeout."

I immediately printed the email out. Later that day, when I picked my daughter up from school, I mentioned the email, and, since she loves that place, she agreed to drive over and have dinner there.

We arrived in a nearly-empty parking lot at 5:20PM. Upon being instantly greeted and seated, we produced the printed email. The host said that everyone who had come for dinner so far that night had a copy of that email!

Is that terrific, responsive marketing, or what? As I explained to my daughter, this email literally cost them nothing.

Think about it. Email is free. They targeted known customers who already agreed to have a special relationship with the restaurant. It's a smallish, local steakhouse chain with about 50 locations in the tri-state area, two of which are nearly equi-distant, a 10 minute drive in good weather, from where we live. Last night, with such bad weather, holiday parties, and seasonal shopping activities, the chain was looking at empty dining rooms and a fully-costed shift of wait staff, bartenders, cooks and busboys.

What to do?

Give loyal customers an immediate 20% off. Tailored to the local weather of that day!

Of course, we not only went there for dinner, but spent more than usual, because it was subsidized by their generous offer. Our waiter noted the immediate serving time, since there were only three other tables occupied upon our arrival. And, sure enough, we had finished an unhurried dinner in just under and hour.

As my daughter was having dessert, several families arrived. By the time we left, the dining room was probably half-full and noisy.

I love this story, and I love a management which can be so insightful, imaginative, and sensitive to immediate, overall marketplace conditions. On a frigid, icy, snowy night during the height of the pre-Christmas shopping and holiday party season, they managed to nearly fill their dining room. Instead of sustain an expensive night of empty restaurants.

If you need a reminder of what great management looks like in action, this is one.

Then, on the other end of the spectrum, we have a local appliance retailer.

As I was writing this post, I went to heat up some milk for another half-cup of cappuccino. My microwave oven died midway through the process.

The first thing I did was to check Bestbuy. They have the replacement GE microwave for about $200-250, depending upon the model. But their nearest location is further than I would ideally like to drive this morning. Costco only has one model, and they are located on the same busy state highway near Bestbuy.

So, I Googled a local appliance retailer at which I have bought entertainment electronics in the past. They have a one-page website with no useful product information. But their phone number was listed, so I called to leave a message requesting a price quote on what I wanted.

On a busy Friday, I figure it will be worth up to $25 to avoid traffic and time spent getting a 'better' price at Bestbuy.

Only this local retailer doesn't allow me to leave messages on their phone. And when I emailed them? The email came back undeliverable.

How lame is that? Both natural avenues of first contact for this guy's already-disadvantaged home appliance retail business are broken and useless.

I'll probably give the guy a call this morning, but I've already made plans to drive up to Bestbuy tonight with my SO to buy a microwave and look at flat panel TVs for her.

This local retailer is a family business. I can't imagine it seeing the next generation with marketing ineptitude like I experienced this morning. Can you?

The sublime...the ridiculous. And I've experienced both within 24 hours in the local business and marketing environment.

Have a great weekend!

No comments: