Thursday, July 10, 2008

From The Road-What Recession?

I'm on the road this week. My posts were pre-written and are being published daily thanks to Blogger's scheduled publishing feature.

But, as luck would have it, I have a 'live' post that dovetails with today's pre-written one.

This morning, I'm in Morgantown, West Virginia.

Now, I don't normally associate West Virginia with the sort of populace and state that normally floats above recessions. It's a state with ample sources of coal, much natural beauty, but not known for a balanced economy.

So, if there's a recession, shouldn't I be seeing it in the state of the Mountaineers?

Well, here's what I've seen in the last 20 hours.

First, I will admit, the University of West Virginia is located in Morgantown.

That said, I don't see any sign of economic trouble in this hilly mecca.

First, people are smiling! And spending...and spending....and spending!

My daughter and I had two light afternoon/evening meals, and in both cases, the restaurants were busy for the hour at which we visited.

We dropped by a Darden chain's Olive Garden around 8PM, and the parking lot was full. There was a 10 minute wait....on a Wednesday night!

We chose to order take-out instead, and, so people-watched for about 20 minutes. It was instructive.

Older couples, young couples on dates, young families....all streaming in and out. Taking food OUT.

Yes, people so well off they ordered more than they could eat. Some didn't look like that could be possible, but consider the implication. These diners were not skimping. No, they bought more than they could finish.

The big box stores plaza was busy, too. Wal-Mart was bustling. Traffic on the roads is brisk and busy. People are well-dressed and clearly living ordinary, busy, spending-oriented lives.

The teens are sporting new-looking, attractive clothing, accessories, and cell-phones, of course, are everywhere.

The Hampton Inn at which we are staying was busy for the lobby breakfast this morning. Last night, the lot was full.

Sound like a recession in the Appalachians to you? No, me neither.

Nobody was going through garbage cans for food. Cars are newish. People are well-fed and -clothed, including whole families dining out.

Just a datapoint from the road.....

No comments: