Wednesday, April 08, 2009

CNBC's Irresponsible Commentary

I've noted with some disappointment the continuing trend on CNBC of its anchors and reporters to present themselves as experts, rather than the talking heads they, in fact, are.

It's become so bad that I found myself describing it to a friend yesterday like listening to the radio. I have the channel on for news, and the occasional interesting guest. But with the menu of clunkers who are the on-air co-anchors, and too many irrelevant guests, like this morning's Howard Dean, it's getting tougher by the week.

Take morning co-anchor Mark Hanes, for example. A lawyer by training, he has recently been trumpeting his personal call of the equity market bottom. Nevermind that we have no idea if this is yet true, nor for how long.

NYSE floor reporter Bob Pisani focuses less on news, and more on cheerleading equities as if the market has a personality.

The market, she be happy.

Rather than attempt to accept and understand reality, he is prone to statements like,

'What we need is for some buyers to step up and provide broad volume.'

By far the most foolish, inane and pompous of the group, though, is senior economic idiot Steve Liesman. This irresponsible goof ball has now become a replacement for Larry Kudlow on the latter's evening program, causing me to wonder if Kudlow is back on cocaine or some other addicting, controlled substance.

Here's why.

I have an interest in science. Suppose I report on physics, and read about the subject, in order to be able to ask sensible interview questions, with the objective of providing viewers with interesting information from leading physicists.

One day, I begin to follow my interviews with my own thoughts on the views of the physicist whom I've just interviewed, criticizing his remarks, and adding my own opinions. Over time, I begin to appear personally to talk about physics theories and discoveries, their credibility, and detailed technical analyses.

That's how Liesman has morphed. Rather than have someone with credentials, like Brian Wesbury, or a Nobel Laureate like Joseph Stiglitz, remark on some piece of economic news, Liesman now personally inserts his own uncredentialed, uneducated interpretations and opinions.

It's become so prevalent and sickening that I am heading for the "mute" button on my television controller when I hear the idiot's voice.

I truly cannot understand why Kudlow, a degreed economist, would pay the slightest attention to Liesman. To make the guy Kudlow's replacement when the latter is away is just incomprehensible. Maybe CNBC forced Kudlow into that "choice."

Although a leading business cable channel, CNBC has a remarkably small audience when compared to Fox's News Channel. So I guess the silver lining is that not that many people actually listen to the CNBC anchors' and reporters' drivel. On the other hand, enough do that the occasional interview will move markets.

I can only hope that, like me, most viewers ignore the CNBC employees and focus on the news and occasional decent guests.

No comments: