Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Comings, Goings & Returns On Business Television

I get a lot of visits to this blog from people searching for Charlie Gasparino or news of his latest row with Dennis Kneale on CNBC.

After seeing several of those searches in the past week, I began to wonder where Gasparino had gone, since I literally cannot recall when he was last on CNBC.

Now, I know why. He popped up on Neil Cavuto's Fox News program last night in the 4-5PM hour.

As of mid-February, Gasparino joined the Fox News channels of Rupert Murdoch's NewsCorp.

I still can't get Fox Business News on ComCast, but I am sure that is where Gasparino is spending his daytimes. At this rate, perhaps the fledgling channel will eventually assemble a sufficient number of interesting on-air people to challenge CNBC.

So it's goodbye to the days of verbal fist-a-cuffs between Alan Murray and Charlie Gasparino on CNBC. Both are now at NewsCorp, and couldn't see them if they do spar during market hours.

Which brings to mind the also-absent Herb Greenberg. I vaguely recall him announcing some changes in his status a few years ago, having found this missive about him. He's a guy I truly do miss on CNBC, or anywhere during business days.

Meanwhile, this morning, on CNBC, I saw a very old face who I haven't seen for over a decade.

Long-time auto sector analyst Mary Ann Keller appeared this morning to discuss the latest Toyota problems, i.e., yesterday's runaway Prius in California.

I recall Keller as a frequent guest on Lou Rukeyser's old PBS program. Back in the day, she was the go-to auto sector analyst. Then, at least to me, it seemed that she disappeared. A Forbes bio of her career reveals that she moved from, I believe, PaineWebber to Furman Selz, which was bought by ING. Then she worked in a senior position at Priceline.

In any case, it was good to see her on air again dispensing sensible insights about her sector.

No comments: